Posts for tag: Flat Feet
How your foot doctor in Bloomington, IL, can help your feet feel better
Heel pain can be excruciating and debilitating, but fortunately there is help from your podiatrist. Dr. Gerald Paul at McLean County Foot & Ankle in Bloomington, IL, offers a full range of services for your feet including treatments for heel pain to help get you on your feet again.
Heel pain can strike suddenly, causing acute, stabbing pain. It can also be a chronic condition, resulting in increasing pain from aching arches. You are at increased risk of heel pain if you have flat feet, carry excess weight, are diabetic, run or jog regularly, or wear shoes without sufficient support.
You can also get heel pain from stepping on sharp objects, causing a heel bruise. Heel spurs are another common cause of heel pain and are caused by excess calcium deposits on your heel. You may get relief from these causes of heel pain by trying a few simple home remedies like these:
- Taking over-the-counter pain and anti-inflammatory medication
- Placing ice on your heel several times each day
- Elevating your feet to take the weight off of them
- Changing to more appropriate, more supportive shoes
One of the most common causes of severe, chronic heel pain is a condition known as plantar fasciitis, caused by inflammation of the plantar fascia, the thick band of tissue running across your heel. It’s a frequent problem for runners and joggers, or people who walk or stand on hard surfaces for long periods of time.
At McLean County Foot & Ankle, Dr. Paul may recommend these treatments to help you get relief from plantar fasciitis:
- Custom-fit orthotics
- Physical therapy and stretching
- Extracorporeal Shock Wave Treatment (ESWT)
- Prescription-strength anti-inflammatory medication
Don’t let heel pain take over your life when relief is just a phone call away. If you suffer from heel pain, call Dr. Gerald Paul at McLean County Foot & Ankle in Bloomington, IL. Call now and help your feet feel better!
Are you concerned that your foot pain may be caused by flat feet? Bloomington, IL, podiatrist Dr. Gerald Paul at McLean County Foot and Ankle shares some signs of flat feet and explain how the condition is treated.
How can I tell if I have flat feet?
Although flat feet don't always cause symptoms, you may have the condition if you experience:
- Pain: Flat feet can cause pain in the arches in the bottoms of your feet and also in your heels. Your feet support your entire body and keep it in the proper alignment. If your feet are flat, you may eventually experience pain in your ankles, knees, hips or lower back.
- Endurance Issues: Do your feet feel an ache or feel tired, yet no one else needs to take a rest? When you have flat feet, walking or running even short distances can be difficult.
- Swelling: Swollen arches may be a problem if you spend too much time on your feet.
- Difficulty Reaching the Top Shelf: Can't stand on your toes to retrieve something from a top shelf? Flat feet may be to blame.
A simple test can help you determine if you have flat feet. Wet your feet than stand on concrete or a brown paper bag. If your arches are normal, the interior portion of your foot won't make contact with the ground, resulting in a slightly curved footprint. When your footprint doesn't have that telltale curve, you may have flat feet.
What causes flat feet?
Flat feet can be caused by:
- Inherited foot conditions or abnormalities that were present when you were born
- Fractured bones
- Conditions that affect the nerves
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Uncontrolled diabetes or high blood pressure
How are flat feet treated?
We can offer several solutions when you visit our Bloomington office. Custom-made orthotics and orthopedic shoes will help support your feet and reduce arch pressure, while braces can reduce ankle pain caused by flat feet. If your pain is severe, we may recommend a corticosteroid injection. Conservative treatment is usually very effective in treating pain and other symptoms caused by flat feet. Surgery is only needed in a small percentage of cases.
A visit to the foot doctor can help reduce your pain. Call Bloomington, IL, podiatrist Dr. Gerald Paul at McLean County Foot and Ankle at (309) 662-9001 to schedule your appointment.