Posts for tag: Arthritic Feet
How your podiatrist in Bloomington, IL, can help your feet
Arthritis can wreak havoc on your body, especially your feet. If you are suffering from arthritis, you already know how painful and debilitating it can be. Arthritis in your feet can affect your ability to walk or stand. There are some steps you can take to get relief from your arthritic feet.
Dr. Gerald Paul at McLean County Foot & Ankle in Bloomington, IL, offers a wide range of podiatry services including arthritic foot care to help you and your feet feel better.
Arthritic changes in your feet can be caused by:
- Osteoarthritis, which results from general wear-and-tear and aging joints; your cartilage gradually wears away, resulting in a bone-on-bone friction, causing pain, swelling, and loss of mobility.
- Rheumatoid arthritis, which is an autoimmune condition; this type of arthritis can affect all age groups, causing ligament, tendon, and joint destruction.
- Trauma-related arthritis, which is caused by an injury to your foot or ankle, including a broken or dislocated bone; your cartilage wears away, resulting in a bone-on-bone connection.
You can take steps at home to get some relief for your feet. Remember to:
- Substitute low impact activities and avoid high-impact ones
- Avoid doing things that increase your arthritis pain
- Maintain a healthy weight to avoid stressing your joints
- Take over-the-counter anti-inflammatory and pain medication
If you suffer from moderate to severe arthritis pain in your feet or ankles and you aren’t getting enough relief from self-care, you need to seek out the help of an expert, your podiatrist. At McLean County Foot & Ankle, Dr. Paul may recommend:
- Custom-fit orthotics to support your feet and help you walk
- Custom-made footwear, braces, or canes
- Physical therapy to increase your range-of-motion
- Prescription strength anti-inflammatory and pain medications
Surgery can also be performed in severe cases. Options may include fusing your joints, arthroscopic debridement, or joint replacement.
Don’t let painful foot arthritis keep you on the couch. You deserve to enjoy a healthy, active life, and your podiatrist can help. To find out more about arthritic foot care, call Dr. Gerald Paul at McLean County Foot & Ankle in Bloomington, IL, today!