How your podiatrist in Bloomington, Illinois can help with heel pain.
Do you have heel pain? Have you felt a sharp, stabbing pain in your heel when you try to put weight on your feet? Does your heel pain keep you from enjoying your day? If this sounds like you, there is some good news! Your podiatrist can help you and your feet feel better.
Dr. Gerard Paul at McLean County Foot & Ankle in Bloomington, Illinois offers comprehensive foot care services, including effective treatments for heel pain.
As a first step, your podiatrist will determine what is causing your heel pain. Some common causes of heel pain include:
- Plantar fasciitis, which is the most common cause of heel pain; it’s caused when the thick band of tissue running across your heel (known as the plantar fascia) becomes inflamed.
- Heel spurs, which are caused by excess calcium deposits in your heel.
- Stone bruises, which are caused by stepping on sharp objects and bruising your heel.
Sometimes heel pain can be relieved by therapies you can try at home, including:
- Taking over-the-counter pain and anti-inflammatory medications
- Gently stretching your arches and Achilles tendon several times each day
- Resting and taking the weight off of your feet
Heel pain may not go away without help from your podiatrist. Dr. Paul is an expert at relieving stubborn heel pain. He may recommend:
- Custom-made footwear or orthotics
- Prescription-strength anti-inflammatory medications
- Stretching and physical therapy
- Extracorporeal Shock Wave Treatment (ESWT)
You don’t have to let heel pain keep you from enjoying your day. Help is just a phone call away. To find out more about heel pain treatment and other foot care services, talk with Dr. Gerard Paul at McLean County Foot & Ankle in Bloomington, Illinois. You can reach him at (309) 662-9001, so call today.