Posts for: May, 2018
What your podiatrist in Bloomington, Illinois wants you to know
If you have a large, hard bump next to your big toe, you could have a bunion. Bunions can make it painful and difficult to wear shoes and to walk around. Fortunately, there are effective treatments for bunions. Dr. Gerald Paul at McLean County Foot and Ankle in Bloomington, Illinois wants to share the facts about bunions and what you can do to get relief.
There are several underlying factors for bunion formation. You could form bunions if you:
- Have flat feet
- Overpronate your feet when you walk
- Frequently wear narrow shoes
- Frequently wear high heels
- Experience an injury or trauma to your foot
- Have bone deformities in your foot
- Have rheumatoid arthritis
- Overstress your feet
Women experience bunions more frequently because of the tendency to wear shoes that cramp toes. High heels add to the problem by pushing feet forward, crushing the toes.
If you experience a painful bunion, you can try a few home remedies like these:
- Taping the bunion to support and cushion it
- Taking over-the-counter anti-inflammatory and pain medications
- Wearing padding or cushions to keep the bunion from rubbing against the inside of your shoe
Large, uncomfortable bunions or bunions that don’t respond to home remedies require the services of your podiatrist. Dr. Paul will take x-rays to determine the amount of bone involved in the bunion. He will discuss a comprehensive treatment plan which may include:
- Physical therapy and exercises to increase flexibility and mobility
- Custom-fit orthotics to make standing and walking easier
- Custom-fit supportive footwear to protect your feet from stress
- Removing corns and calluses to reduce friction and irritation
Large bunions with significant bone involvement may require surgery. Common surgeries for bunions include removing bone, straightening your toe, and aligning your foot.
Bunion pain can be hard to deal with, but you don’t have to suffer. Get some help from an expert by calling Dr. Gerald Paul at McLean County Foot and Ankle in Bloomington, Illinois. Call today and help your feet!