Posts for: March, 2018
Athlete's foot is a very common fungal infection that usually develops between the toes, but can spread to other parts of the foot like the toenails, as well as to the hands from direct contact with the rash. Also known as tinea pedis, athlete's foot can affect anyone, although it tends to affect men more frequently. Dr. Gerald Paul, a podiatrist in Bloomington, IL, offers treatment for athlete's foot and a range of foot and ankle injuries and conditions.
Athlete's Foot Prevention and Treatment in Bloomington, IL
There are a few precautions that you can take to protect yourself and reduce your risk of developing athlete's foot, but if you shower at the gym, swim at a public pool, or live with someone with athlete's foot, chances are you may develop it too.
How to protect yourself/lower your risk of developing athlete's foot:
- Keep your feet (especially between the toes) clean and dry
- Wear flip-flops or socks in communal and public areas such as showers, pools, and locker rooms
- Wear socks and shoes that keep your feet cool, dry and well ventilated to prevent moisture buildup
- If your feet are prone to sweating, use power and change your socks frequently to keep them clean and dry
- Avoid sharing your own or wearing other people's shoes
- Keep bath mats and other common surfaces in your home clean and dry, and keep your feet covered if someone in the home has athlete's foot
- Wash your hands after touching your feet to prevent spreading the infection to your hands
Mild cases of athlete's foot can usually be treated with self-care and over the counter topical treatments, but if the infection does not respond to conservative treatments or clear up on its own, a podiatrist may prescribe stronger anti-fungal medication.
Find a Podiatrist in Bloomington, IL
If you have symptoms of athlete's foot or are suffering from pain or other symptoms, contact McLean County Foot and Ankle by calling (309) 662-9001 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Paul today.