Posts for: September, 2016
Find out how to care for bunions now to prevent problems in the future.
If you were lucky enough to catch your bunion during its early stages then you might just be in luck. In fact, your bunion may not even be causing you issues. But to ensure that you continue to enjoy a pain-free life, it’s time you listened to your Bloomington, IL podiatrist Dr. Gerald Paul to find out how to properly care for your bunions so they don’t get worse.
Bunions can get worse if you don’t take the necessary precautions. Of course, our Bloomington, IL foot doctors can help you manage your symptoms with many different treatment options. Here are some of the most common nonsurgical options for caring for your bunions:
- Massages or certain exercises can be used to not only relax the muscles in the foot but also to retrain them. Talk to us about certain exercises you can perform to help ease your bunion symptoms or to improve the alignment of your feet.
- Wear a bunion splint, which can help shift the toe back into its natural alignment.
- Look for the proper shoes for your condition. This means choosing shoes that have a lot of room for your toes to spread out, as well as shoes that have no heels and are lightweight. Not sure how to even go about shopping for shoes? Just talk to us. We would be happy to give you some suggestions.
- If you have already started to notice some minor swelling or discomfort from time to time you can temporarily relieve these symptoms with icing or over-the-counter pain relievers.
- Wear a bunion pad to provide protection and cushioning for the bunion while wearing shoes. This is particularly helpful during physical activity, where shoes are more likely to rub against the bunion and cause pain.
Bunions don’t have to be a nuisance. If you want to talk to a foot specialist in Bloomington, IL about how to care for your feet then turn to McLean County Foot and Ankle. We are here to help!